Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I lied.

Yes, I lied. I said I would write multiple times a week, and then I didn't write for months. My bad.
I've decided to take a new approach, and just write when I want to. Though I will still be writing about books.
Right now I am reading The Lord of the Rings books, and I am only about 50 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring. So far I like it a lot, and I like that I can hear the characters' voices in my head thanks to the movies. Before I started it, I reread The Hobbit. It was a little harder for me to get into this time, but after I made myself accept that Bilbo is just an extraordinarily lucky little man, it got easier. My boyfriend is excited that I am reading the LOTR books so that I can tell him all the differences between the books and the movies. I don't know why he doesn't just read them himself, but it may be because he'd rather being playing LOTROnline. Who knows?
I am also rereading The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, mostly for the Vlogbrothers/nerd fighters blurbing book club. I liked the book the first time I read it, but I think I was 15 and that most of the meaning of the book escaped my grasp.
And since I can't just read two books at a time, I also just started The Chronicles of Narnia. I like it so far, though my mom said she couldn't get past the first book (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe) because of the religious undertones. And I know they're there, but since I lack quite a lot of religious knowledge I think I will be able to try and ignore it, or else learn from it. We'll see.
I am probably reading other books too.
I just read a whole slew of YA fiction, including the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield and some books a friend recommended. I didn't much care for the books she suggested, which is unusual since I love YA fiction more than any other genre. The Uglies series was alright, I didn't like the writing style but I liked the story. I also read The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson and I definitely liked that. A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian was good too, although I kept wanting the main character to just stick up for herself already!
After (or during) the LOTR and Narnia series I will be moving on to Maureen Johnson's Girl at Sea, E. Lockhart's The Boyfriend List, and Rachel Cohn and David Levithan's Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.
It will be a busy summer of reading for me. Besides those books (which I just bought yesterday) I already have a list of 50 or so books that I own and haven't read yet. My plan is to read them all before 2009, but I don't know how that will work out.
I'll keep you posted. (Or will I?).
In other news, I've easily become roped in by the first episode of The Secret Life of American Teenagers on ABC Family. It's sort of like Degrassi, only less Canadian (not that Canadian is necessarily bad).
Also, can I just say that it would be amazing if the vlogbrothers could go on tour and come to the Boston/Massachusetts area? Hopefully their "Tour de nerd fighting" will make it here!
Also, I graduated! Hooray Me!!!

No comments: