Thursday, January 21, 2010

The First Five

I finished three books today. I was halfway through two, and then read a whole book in between. I'm well on track for the 50 book challenge. I read on Good Reads that people are trying to read 12 books a month. While that may be completely plausible for people who don't have two jobs and are starting grad school, it just isn't possible for me. I like my 50 book challenge, and if I see that it will be too easy to accomplish, then I'll push it to 75. But 144 books in a year? That's absolutely mad.

This year so far I've completed:

The Lovely Bones - Sebold
Handle With Care - Picoult
In The Woods - French
Nothing Like You - Strasnick
Goth Girl Rising - Lyga

Besides that last one, it's almost like I've advanced to adult literature. But just you wait, that YA will come creeping back in in no time!

I really enjoyed In The Woods. It was another train station book, but it sounded familiar, like I'd heard about it somewhere, so I picked it up. It takes place in Ireland and has a really cool sort of intertwining plot revolving around a detective, Rob Ryan. I didn't really like how it ended though, because I loved how he and his partner on the murder squad, Cassie, worked and played off each other and I thought it would be nice if he hadn't screwed that up. Also, I still really want to know what happened to his friends when they were young. But alas.

Handle With Care was another typical, emotional Jodi Picoult novel, so it was enjoyable, but not very different from her other books. I did like it and I learned a lot from it, which is always good. I hate when you take nothing away from a book.

The Lovely Bones was very good to reread. I read it back when it first came out so I wanted to reread it and get familiar with it before going to see the movie. I haven't seen the movie yet but I hope it doesn't spoil the book. I love Susie's father, sister, and grandmother in particular in the book and I hope they are portrayed well.

I figure I should be able to finish two more books this month. Not definite though, because I start class on Monday and I have no idea what the work load will be like. Although I will be on trains quite a bit so maybe I can just read then. We'll have to wait and see.

Next up I plan on starting Love is the Higher Law by David Levithan and I still have to finish Lolita which I have been reading on and off for about three years. Ridiculous, I know.

More updates coming soon.

No comments: