Saturday, April 17, 2010

April Update

Since my last update, I've read "How it Ends," "For Keeps," "The Iron King," "Birthmarked," "Forever,"and probably some other books.

"Birthmarked" by Caragh O'Brien was simply fantastic. I couldn't find any definitive information about whether there will be a sequel or not, but I seriously hope there is. Gaia was a wonderfully written protagonist and the whole story line was amazing. I loved that it was sort of a mix of "The Hunger Games" and The "Uglies" Series, and all those sort of "America in the messed up future" books, but with a really new and unique take on it.

"The Iron King" by Julie Kagawa was a lot better than I had expected it to be, but it still took me a long time to get used to the style of writing. I really enjoyed the story, but it was hard not to be annoyed with the language sometimes. I do look forward to the next book in the Iron Fey series, though.

"How it Ends" was so touching and lovely, and different!

"For Keeps" was so sweet and cute. Josie and Live, the two main female characters were such a nice portrayal of best friends, and the strange relationship twists with Josie's parents and grandparents were a story line I hadn't really read before. I like new twists on simple stories.

I think I am the last female ever to read "Forever" by Judy Blume. It was so blunt and honestly written that at some points I was like "Did she REALLY say THAT?" But at the same time it was so refreshing, and I love that a book written in 1975 is still relevant to teenagers. I'm glad that the story didn't end with anything terrible like STDs, AIDS, or young pregnancies. I loved that it ended with the simple lesson that when you're young, something that seems forever can end pretty quickly, whether you expect it to or not.

I am currently reading "Going Bovine" by Libba Bray. I've never read anything by Libba Bray before, but so far I really like her writing. I'm about half way through, and I like Cameron a lot. He's very honest and clever and I keep smiling when I'm reading.

Next up is "Tangled" by Carolyn Mackler.

No comments: