Saturday, April 3, 2010

Why I Love Reading

Or, one of the many reasons I love reading.

When I read a book, everything else sort of fades away, including time. To me, it feels like everything is evened out, and it's easy for me to reconnect with a place or the different versions of me that I've been throughout my life. For instance, this weekend I'm visiting my hometown and today I went down to the beach and to read for a bit. While I was reading, it occurred to me that when I'm reading books now, I feel exactly the same as all the other times I've read books. I could go back to that beach in ten years, read a book, and feel like the same person I was earlier today.

I don't know if that makes any sense, because it feels like one of those things that makes complete sense in my mind, but just won't translate properly to the page. One down side of this, though, is that I somehow feel like a 16 year old whenever I'm reading, probably because that's the age when I needed books the most to help deal with the rest of the world. I'm not complaining though, because I think that's one of the reasons that books are so comforting to me.

ANYWAYS.

I've now read 28 books this year. I don't have my list with me, so I can't update formally, however I did read some really great books recently that I do remember.
Deb Caletti - The Six Rules of Maybe. I really enjoyed the character interactions in this book, and truly, I am just such a sucker for Deb Caletti books. Ugh.
Elizabeth Scott - The Unwritten Rule. Usually when a girl kisses her best friend's boyfriend, it's pretty bad and def not a good time. But the way this was written really made the circumstances and context come into play, and I really liked the main character (Sarah? possibly?).
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver. I really wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or not, because it was a strange premise. Samantha lives the last day of her life 7 times, and each time you can see how she is coping and progressing with accepting her own death and trying to be a better person at the same time. I ended up getting completely sucked into it.

I just got a few books in mail including:
How it Ends - Laura Wiess
The Iron King - Julie Kagawa
Birthmarked - Caragh O'Brien
Tangled - Carolyn Mackler
Every Little Thing in the World - Nina de Gramont

I also just pre-ordered John Green and David Levithan's new book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which I am verrrry excited about. And, I keep updating and adding to my "Books to Buy" file. The newest additions are:

Already out:
Albatross - Josie Bloss
The Secret Year - Jennifer Hubbard
Sing Me to Sleep - Angela Morrison
Prey - Lurlene McDaniel
Forever - Judy Blume
Letting Go of Lisa - Lurlene McDaniel
Hold Still - Nina LaCour
Read My Lips - Teri Brown
Stained - Jennifer Richard Jacobson
The Wrong Mother - Sophie Hannah
The Last Summer (of you and me) - Ann Brashares
The Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind

Soon to be released:
For Keeps - Natasha Friend - Apr 6
The Karma Club - Brody - Apr 27
Boys, Bears, and a Serious Pair of Hiking Boots - McDonald - Apr 13
Something Like Fate - Colasanti - May 4
She's So Dead To Us - Scott - May 25

For some reason, I was trying to find something out about a Lurlene McDaniel book the other day, when I stumbled upon this blog: http://yalitanddeath.blogspot.com/ The blog is basically recaps of Lurlene McDaniel's books, which are usually about terrible tragedy/illness/so on. They are really quite depressing books, and I used to read them ALL THE TIME in Middle School. I have no idea why. I called my Mom last night to ask her if she remembered them, and she goes, "Yeah, the books about dying kids." Anyways, the author of the blog is a woman named Amy (I think she is a YA writer, but not sure), and the recaps are incredibly funny. She takes these books apart bit by bit and I can't stop laughing out loud when I'm reading the posts.

I would really like to find out if anyone has done this for Caroline B Cooney's books, because I was also big into everything she wrote. It was seriously a problem. I would go to Barnes & Noble and zoom right to the (very small) YA section just to look for Caroline B Cooney books. I really don't know why. I remember thoroughly enjoying them, too, so I kind of want to re-read some of them, but what if that ruins them for me forever? Imagine if "Wanted!," "Hush Little Baby," or even "Twins" were never the same for me again!?

...On that note, it's time for me to get a new hobby.


No comments: