Saturday, March 19, 2011

After the Kiss - McVoy - 2010


Title: After the Kiss
Author: Terra Elan McVoy
Year: 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date Read: 03-18-2011
Overall: * * * (3/5)

GoodReads Blurb: Becca has been head-over-heels for Alec from the instant they met. He's a brainy jock with a poet's heart—in other words, perfect for her.

Camille is careful with her words and protective of her heart, especially since Chicago. Then a new boy in her new town catches her off guard with a surprise kiss.

Too bad that new boy is Becca's boyfriend, Alec.

Camille and Becca have never met, but their lives will unravel and intertwine in surprising ways as they deal with what happens after the kiss.

Plot: * * * *
Characters: * * *
Style: * * *

My Review: I have to say it: I am not a big fan of novels written in verse. I just don't get it. I absolutely adore poetry, a lot of poetry in fact, but I do not like a story made up of many different poems. Partly I think it is because the writers still sound like they aren't sure what they are trying to do, because they still have to include some semblance of a novel in their verses.

I really liked the idea of the plot though, and I really liked Becca. She was sweet and at times vulnerable and weak, but she grew over the course of the story and I was really happy that she held onto being a good person, even when there were so many tempting opportunities to confront and hurt Camille.

Alec and Camille were just... meh. Camille and her love of run-on sentences and lack of capitalization bothered me. I get that McVoy was trying to sound like a teenager writing some stream of consciousness... but it didn't sound general, it just sounded bratty and pretentious. Boys like Alec really just don't exist in the world... the jock who writes poetry and has lots of feelings... nope. Sorry, but if this exists, I'd like to meet him.

To Purchase: Amazon, B&N

Also by this author: Pure (2009), The Summer of Firsts and Lasts (coming in 2011)


No comments: