Friday, March 18, 2011

Delirium - Oliver - 2011


Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Year: 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Date Read: 3-13-2011
Overall: * * * * * (5/5)

GoodReads Blurb: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Plot: * * * * *
Characters: * * * * *
Style: * * * *

My Review: I have very few complaints about Delirium. I really, really enjoyed reading it and was very sad when it was time to put it down. I didn't even know it was going to be part of a trilogy, and now I am very excited. I am digging all these new takes on dystopias, it is my new book obsession. Getting rid of love is such a good twist though, it's like Matched, but taking it one step further.

I thought Lena was a great protagonist; she's kind, conflicted, secretly rebellious. Her relationship with her best friend, Hana, because they were so very different but understood each other so well. Alex was a bit typical in his "mysterious outsider" ways, but he was very sweet and I believed in his relationship with Lena completely.

I didn't like the ending. For a book in a series, it was very much a "wide open" type of ending, where you knew something could happen in the future, but there was no urgency for something to happen right then. I think a book in a series should end in more of a cliff-hanger and should leave me absolutely needing the next book. I also didn't like the similarities to the Uglies series, with the outcasts living off the grid in nature somewhere, but I can get over that.

This is a great follow up to Oliver's previous book, Before I Fall, which I thought was amazing and gut-wrenching and really just wonderful.

To Purchase: Amazon, B&N

Also by this author: Before I Fall (2010)

No comments: