Thursday, September 1, 2011

End of Summer: Love Story - Echols & Forever - Stiefvater

Love Story - Jennifer Echols
2011 - MTV
Read: August 10, 2011
Review: I have been a HUGE Jennifer Echols fan since I first read Going Too Far, and then my love grew when I read Forget You. However, I wasn't as big of a fan of Love Story as I was anticipating. I liked the characters, and I enjoyed Echols writing, but I didn't like the story. I didn't like how the meat of the story, the really important parts, were told in short stories "written" by the characters. I felt like it was kind of an experimental novel style, and I would have much rather gotten to know the characters more through their interactions, instead of their stories for creative writing class. If you haven't read any of Echols' work before, I would start with this book and then read the other two.

2011 - Scholastic
Read: August 2011
Review: I really enjoyed the ending to this trilogy. I was skeptical of this novel, because I didn't really like Linger, the second book, very much. I felt like it was just a switch-around of Shiver. I really liked Shiver though, and I wanted to finish out the series. I was very happily surprised with the turn of events in Forever, and I loved that Cole became such an important character. Cole was the only thing that kept me going in Linger, so to see him really come into his own and be as important as Grace or Sam was really nice for me. I like Stiefvater's writing style, I think she does a wonderful job crafting difficult relationships and friendships. I am interested in reading her past books, too. I saw her at a book talk a few months ago, and she was surprisingly funny, a trait I'd love to see carry through more in her writing.

Up Next: Want to go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman, Never Have I Ever (Lying Game # 2) by Sara Shepard

No comments: