Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Harry Potter, Fire, and Friendship

I am so excited to read the rest of the Harry Potter books. The first one was great, though very young sounding, which I expected. I know that not every character lives, because that wouldn't be realistic, but I am going to be very sad to find out who doesn't make it through til the end of the series.
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Fire by Kristin Cashore now. I love Cashore's writing, she's extremely talented, and I can't wait for her third book to come out! Fire is a lot more grown up than Graceling was, which is nice because it shows that Cashore is able to do different voices and themes. Fire, Brigan, and Hanna are such great characters, I love the way their bond is forming. I have no idea how the story will end, there aren't many pages left and there is an impending war!
I never used to enjoy or even read fantasy or sci-fi books. But now, with these books and The Hunger Games books, I am definitely more appreciative of the genres.
In non-book news, this weekend I am excited to have a sort of girly-weekend with one of my best friends. I think we're going to have marathons of really awful tv shows, like Melrose Place and Gossip Girls, since she has them all DVRed and hasn't watched any of them. I shamefully admit that I love Melrose Place, mostly because it's really bad and thoroughly amusing, but also because I want to know who killed Sydney!
I am really in need of a good, fun weekend, as there have been a lot of not-so-fun things going on. My aunt (my mother's sister) passed away earlier this week from cancer. And while it's very saddening, it is also very angering because if she had been going to her yearly doctor's appointments they could have caught the cancer when it was new and hadn't had a chance to spread throughout her body. Like my aunt's memory, this knowledge will stay with me the rest of my life.
My apologies for the depressing tone to this post, I promise I will be more upbeat after I finish Fire, start Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and enjoy my girly-fun weekend!

No comments: