Monday, June 27, 2011

Catching Up, Part Five: Scott, Ryan, Kirby

For part five of six, we have Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott, The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, and Moonglass by Jessi Kirby.

Between Here and Forever - Elizabeth Scott
2011 - Simon Pulse
Read: May 26, 2011
Review: Though I enjoyed the story, I couldn't stand the editing problems. There were about five instances of "Tess's" instead of "Tess is," which annoyed me so much and I felt like for such a big name YA author it was just sloppy editing. Much of the story was predictable, but I really loved seeing Abby how she saw herself and then how other people saw her as she met more people or opened up to more people.



The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan
2009 - Gollanzc
Read: May 29, 2011
Review: This story was basically the zombie apocalypse through a teenagers eyes, which isn't a bad thing, but it was sometimes predictable. I liked how Mary grew as a person over the course of the story and how we learn more and more about her world as she learns it too. I was worried that it was going to be too much like The Village, which would have been really awful, but luckily it didn't go that way. I am excited to read the other books in the series and find out more about the "zombies."



Moonglass - Jessi Kirby
2011 - Simon & Schuster
Read: May 30, 2011
Review: Moonglass was lovely. Though it started slowly, once it picked up and I could figure out where the story was going, I really got into it and I thoroughly enjoyed the characters. Growing up on the water myself really helped to put myself in Anna's shoes. I really liked how the people and their stories all came together in the end to help Anna understand what happened with her mother. I would love to see what else Kirby comes up with, as this was her debut.



To learn more or purchase these titles:

No comments: