Saturday, June 25, 2011

Catching Up, Part Two: Forman, Whedon, Mahoney

For the next three catch up books I will be reviewing Where She Went by Gayle Forman, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 8 graphic novels by Joss Whedon & company, and The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney.

Where She Went - Gayle Forman
2011 - Dutton
Read: April 9, 2011
Review: I am still so impressed with Forman's writing. Most might see this as a bad thing, but I really enjoy her
skill with making people cry. I really loved If I Stay, and I was wary about the idea of a sequel to it, but it just really worked. I am so happy for Mia and Adam and the love that they have for each other. Forman wrote the story so convincingly, and while it might have been an unnecessary story, it was still great and full of emotion and trouble and strength. I am really looking forward to more of Forman's books, I would like to see what she can do with new characters.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 8 - Joss Whedon & others
2007-2010 - Dark Horse Comics
Read: April 2011
Review: I haven't finished the season yet, but so far I have absolutely enjoyed the comics. I really like the artwork, too. It is so fun to read the comics and put the characters voices from the show to the speech bubbles. I can't wait to finish the rest of the volumes and find out what happens.

The Iron Witch - Karen Mahoney
2011 - Flux
Read: May 3, 2011
Review: I was expecting a lot more action and adventure from this book than I actually got. The description/summary made it sound like the majority of the story would take place after Navin is kidnapped, but that was really just a bit at the end. I was expecting a big battle scene or something, maybe I was spoiled by The Iron Queen, but it just felt like there could have been more to this story. The writing itself wasn't bad, just very slow. I am undecided about reading more if this becomes a series.


To learn more or purchase these titles:

No comments: