Friday, January 28, 2011

Audio Book Challenge Review: Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher - 2007

2011 Audio Book Challenge: Book # 1 (of 6)

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Year: 2007
Audio Book Narrators: Joel Johnstone & Debra Wiseman
Publisher: Razorbill
Date Read: 1-28-201
Overall: * * * * * (this rating is based not only on the book, but the audio version of it)

GoodReads Blurb: Jay Asher's brilliant first novel is a moving, highly original story that focuses on a set of audiotapes made by a girl before she committed suicide, and which explain to 13 people the reasons why she decided to end her life. Told in a highly effective duel narrative -- alternating between the girl s voice and the thoughts of a boy who is listening -- this honest, poignant story reveals how other people's actions shape, and by extension can ruin, an individual's faith in people. Intensely powerful and painfully real, Thirteen Reasons Why reveals how brutal high school can be, the consequences of spreading rumors, and the lasting effects of suicide on those left behind.

My Review: This was my first experience with an audio book. I have to say, it made driving by myself so much more enjoyable than usual! It felt like the time spent driving flew by, and then when I parked my car, I didn't want to get out. Even though this was a story I had already read (when it first was published), I loved hearing the words spoken, and with Hannah's tapes in the story, the audio book version came across so well.
The story is very chilling, and confusing, and generally mixed up to begin with, and it is so well written, and the voice actors who gave life to Clay and Hannah did an amazing job. They had fantastic emotions, and they sounded the age of the characters, which really enhanced the story.
I did not think I would enjoy listening to a book this much. When I was a child I did not like being read to, because I wanted to be independent and do it myself. But I really liked this.

To Buy: Print version or Audio Book version

Currently Reading: XVI by Julia Karr
Currently Listening To: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I listened to this book as part of the Audio Book Challenge 2011 hosted by Teresa's Reading Corner
As a reminder to myself, link blogs here

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I've heard that this book is really good. I'm glad that you had a positive experience with your first audio book.

Thanks for linking up!

Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

This still has to be one of my favorite audio books--it was brilliantly done. I am glad you enjoyed it!