Thursday, January 27, 2011

Zombies vs. Unicorns - Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier - 2010

Title: Zombies vs. Unicorns
Author: Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (editors)
Year: 2010
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Date Read: 1-27-2011
Overall: Since this is an anthology, I cannot rate it as whole, because there were some stories I loved and some I was not a fan of.

GoodReads Blurb: It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths—for good and evil—of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?

My Review (aka, Stories I Really Liked): Since this was a compilation of stories, there were some that I really enjoyed, and some that I found hard to get into. Since this is a really fun compilation, I am just going to list a few highlights.

Zombie Stories I Really Enjoyed:
Love Will Tear Us Apart by Alaya Dawn Johnson - What if a zombie fell in love?
Bougainvillea by Carrie Ryan - I liked the seriousness of this one, it was really convincing
The Children of the Revolution by Maureen Johnson - The creepy zombie babies were just awesome, and everyone should follow Maureen on twitter

Unicorn Stories I Really Enjoyed:
Purity Test by Naomi Novik - I'm not really sure why, but this story cracked me up
The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn by Diana Peterfreund - I loved this story, it amused me to no end
Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot - I loved the kick-butt rainbow-farting unicorn!

My Team: Unicorn!

I definitely recommend this anthology. It's just so fun, and there are so many different views on zombies and unicorns. There were quite a few authors I had never heard of, and it was great to get read new writing styles. I know a lot of people are team zombie, but I just love that unicorns can be so bad@$$ and so kind and awesome all at the same time.

To Buy: Amazon

Currently Reading: XVI by Julia Karr

Books Read in 2011: 10

No comments: