Monday, January 17, 2011

Reading List for YA Lit Course

Starting next week, I will be taking the YA Lit course that my Library Science graduate program offers. I sort of forgot about this course when I went on a massive book buying spree on Saturday. This means that I have a lot of reading goals for the rest of the winter and into spring. For my mini book club that my friend and I do, I have a few books to read through this and next month. Also, she and I both have "catch up" books -- books the other has read that we want to have both read so we can discuss them. So there are our new-to-both-of-us books, and new-to-one-of-us books, and a bunch of books that I have to read for class (about 2 a week). For class, we were given a long list of books, with about 6-8 choices per week, so the list I am including is only of the books I have chosen for those weeks, not the complete options list.

Here are some lists of these books:

Catch-Up Books:
Stolen - Lucy Christopher
The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor
The Replacement - Brenna Yovanoff
Coraline - Neil Gaiman
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse # 1) - Charlaine Harris

New Books:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (supposed to finish by the end of this month!)
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (our first sci-fi genre book!)
Brave Story - Miyuki Miyabe
Low Red Moon - Ivy Devlin (aka Elizabeth Scott) (we both want to know if this is bad or not...)
Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris (our first mystery genre book!)

Books for YA Lit Course (with due dates!):
Jan 26:
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
*The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
The Pigman - Paul Zindel
Feb 2:
*Weetzie Bat - Francesca Lia Block
*Forever - Judy Blume
Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack - M.E. Kerr
Feb 9:
Hope Was Here - Joan Bauer
True Confessions of a Heartless Girl - Martha Brooks
Feb 16:
*Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
*What Would Emma Do? - Eileen Cook
*Breathless - Jessica Warman
Feb 23:
Stoner & Spaz - Ron Koertge
Fat Kid Rules the World - K.L. Going
March 2:
*Suite Scarlett - Maureen Johnson
Fighting Ruben Wolf - Marcus Zusak
Derby Girl - Shauna Cross
March 16:
*Love Sick - Jake Coburn
*Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging - Louise Rennison
Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan
March 23:
Hole in My Life - Jack Gantos
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
Stiff - Mary Roach
9/11 Report: Graphic Adaptation - Sid Jacobson & Ernie Colon
March 30:
Feed - M.T. Anderson
*The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
*Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia
Fables - Bill Willingham
Keturah and Lord Death - Martine Leavitt
April 6:
*Paper Towns - John Green
Killer's Cousin - Nancy Werline
Silver Kiss - Annette Curtis Klause
April 13:
Sunrise Over Fallujah - Walter Dean Myers
Elephant Run - Roland Smith
April 20:
*Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes - Chris Crutcher
Vegan Virgin Valentine - Carolyn Mackler
April 27:
Your Own, Sylvia - Stephanie Hemphill
Night is Gone, Day is Still Coming - Annette Pina Ochoa
The Starry Rift - Jonathan Strahan
Thicker Than Water - Gordon Snell

The books with * next to them are books I have already read at some time, though I will be rereading them as a refresher. Some of these dates we are required only 2 readings, while a few of these dates we are required to do 4 readings. I included an extra option for a lot of the dates in case I can't get a hold of some of my choices. I'm really hoping this course goes well, since it is on a topic that I (obviously) love, and it is with a professor whom I really enjoy taking classes with.
So... This will be a very ambitious reading time for me.
*face-palm*

Currently Reading: Zombies vs. Unicorns edited by Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier

No comments: