Sunday, September 6, 2009

Next on the List

Next up for books is the first in the Pretty Little Liars books by Sara Shepard. I had vowed not to start reading any series that already has more than 3 books out (like the House of Night, A-List, Private, and Vampire Academy series). Not only because they take too much time away from other books, but because, for the most part, they are terrible.

Yes, I've read the Twilight books, and no, I don't think they're any good. I read the Uglies series, and really enjoyed it. I haven't read the fourth book though, but I will soon. I read the first two pages of Marked (a House of Night novel) and couldn't go any further because the dialogue was terrible. I read the first book of the Private series, and I enjoyed it, but then they just kept coming out with more and more and I didn't want to devote that much time to characters I didn't care that deeply for. I've read a lot of the Gossip Girl books, and I enjoyed them for easy Summer reading, but I haven't read any since the TV series came out because the TV show was so different that it was hard to go back and forth between all the differing story lines.

So you can see my apprehension at starting a series that follows this sort of trend, but I've heard really good things about the Pretty Little Liars books and I'm going to read the first one and see if I like it, and how much I like it. If it's just a good read, but nothing that makes me that invested in the characters then I'll call it a day and not buy the others. But if it's as good as I've heard, then maybe I'll pick up the second book sometime when the rest of my list isn't calling to me.

I may start reading a couple chapters now, before I have to get ready and pick up Mike for dinner at my parents' house. My brother and his girlfriend are coming over to grill some halibut they caught in Alaska. My brother is a chef at a local restaurant and I'm looking forward to the meal. Although they did also mention something about grilling some summer squash with the fish, and that is just unappealing to me, since I think squash is disgusting. Hopefully they pick up some other good veggies while they're at the store.

I'm also going to continue to find the worst music I can on iTunes so I can have a fantastically fulfilling dance party in my dining room. The only creature that can make fun of me at the moment is my cat, Ollie, and I think he would rather just dance with me than make the effort of leaving the room.

1 comment: