Saturday, August 22, 2009

Book 30 and sort of 31

"Stealing Heaven" by Elizabeth Scott was a very good Summer read. I kept getting angry while reading it because Danielle's mother made no sense by dragging her daughter into a life of crime, knowing that everyone gets caught at some point. Every time they actually referred to her as Danielle I'd get confused because I mostly though of her as the other names she had to go by so no one knew who she really was.
The boy was very adorable, and it was funny to read the second book in a row to have a cute cop boy in it. It was nice that he and even Allison showed her what friendships and relationships have the potential to become.
It was sort of obvious that her mother was going to be seriously sick from the very start of when she started coughing. "Going Too Far" did a better job of making cancer be more of a surprise than this book did. While it's always sad to read a book that involves a serious illness, I think it's better and more heart-wrenching when it comes as a shock.
Anyways, after I finished that book I started "Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd." It's a compilation of short stories and comics from some of the "nerdiest" authors around. John Green is one of them, and his story was very good. I only read about half of the stories, because honestly, I am not that much of a geek. I don't know anything about Star Trekk or computer games or comic books. And those are the things these stories were talking about. I am more into nerdy TV shows (Buffy, Alias, Roswell), and classic novels (& all other novels) and biographies of random people. I could read all day long. I can't play video games for more than an hour.
So after finding "Geektastic" just a little too on the geeky side for me (I just had no idea what some of the stories were referencing.... sadly), I started MT Anderson's "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing" (Vol. 1). So far I really like it, I am not that far into it, but so far it just wraps you up into Octavian's world, and the way it is written you can tell that Octavian never questioned anything for most of his early years, and this only makes you as the reader question things more. Definitely intriguing and I think I'll read through it pretty quickly when I have some more time to do so.
Tonight's about fun though, since it's Saturday, so I'm gonna get back to having some.

No comments: