Monday, August 31, 2009

I Have A Secret

Every Monday night I watch The Secret Life of the American Teenager. And every Monday day night I wonder WHY? If you've never seen it, it's about a group of teenagers and their experiences in high school, mostly pertaining to their relationships (sexual and otherwise). The main character is Amy who got pregnant in the first season and is now raising her son with the help of family, friends, and the baby's father. I've watched it since the beginning, and now even Mike watches it with me. Every Monday we sit down with our dinners and watch the story unfold. It's part of our Monday Night Tradition (MNT for you acronym lovers out there), which also includes Taco Bell, Jon & Kate Plus 8, Intervention, and Hoarders. It's a good time.

The problem: the show isn't any good.

None, seriously NONE of the characters have any redeeming qualities. Everyone sleeps with each others boyfriends and cheats on their significant others. No one is actually honest with their friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. Even the adults just lie. Amy, the girl who now has a baby, is whiny and tries to use her baby as a way to get pity and help from her family, but then also uses the baby to show that she's and "adult" now -- at 16. Ricky, the father of the baby, sleeps around, most frequently with Adrienne. Adrienne also sleeps around, sometimes with her step-brother. Grace is the religious wannabe-doctor who had sex the night her father died, and now thinks that she caused his death by having sex. Ben is Amy's boyfriend, and he may be the worst character of all. He tries to act and talk like an adult, which doesn't work so smoothly when you're a 16 year old boy with your voice changing.
I can't even get started about the parents.
You would think that the woman who did 7th Heaven would be able to manage at least one family that's not full of nutcases, but I guess not.
AND YET I STILL WATCH IT.
It's awful and I love it. I love seeing who's going to fight with whom, who's going to fight with their parents, and who's going to say the most sentences that sound like whoever wrote the script has never been a teenager, let along spoken to one.
I know this is ranting and terrible, but I really just don't understand WHY I like it. I don't even like it, I just can't stop watching it. It's the worst train wreck on TV and I'm watching every minute of it as if there's crack seeping into my eyes from the TV screen.

No comments: